The surging demand for mobile apps says all about the importance of mobile app development in today’s era. This blog is an ultimate guide to mobile app development, where we’ll discuss everything about mobile app development you need to know.
The advent of smartphones has changed the way we interact with the world around us. Mobile apps are taking over all the major things of our lives, like communication, entertainment, shopping, gaming, and more. Per Finances online, there are over 2.7 billion smartphone users worldwide and 244 billion mobile apps in the respective App Stores.Such stats show that mobile app development has grown exponentially and become necessary for businesses to keep up with customers’ needs, stay ahead of their competitors, reap the maximum benefits out of it, and maximize revenue.
What Is Mobile App Development?
Technically speaking, mobile app development is a process of coding software that runs on smartphones, tablets, wearables, etc. It is a strategic process of defining, designing, building, and launching a successful mobile product. Since mobile app development includes software development based upon mobile devices, it tries to take the complete advantage of the device’s exclusive features.
Why Build Mobile Apps? – Top Reasons
Research shows that the average American spends 3 hours and 43 minutes a day on a mobile device and checks their phone nearly 80 times a day. But what do they do on their phones? Well, 90% of mobile time is spent on apps only; this clearly shows the importance of developing a mobile app. Why should you build mobile apps? Here are the top reasons:
- Boost Brand Awareness – Mobile apps can create higher visibility and recognition for your business. The more customers are aware of your app, the more likely they are going to recognize your app and business. Thus, you should ensure that your app is user-friendly, responsive, and engaging.
- Increase Customer Engagement – Your business should invest in mobile app development to seamlessly connect and interact with customers, thus making it a valuable tool for the modern business.
- Enhance User-Experience – A mobile app developed with diligence can help you connect with your customers where they need you most. Building a user-friendly mobile app improves customers’ experience.
- Improve and Increase Sales – With mobile apps delivering 3x more conversions than websites, a mobile app can increase your customer base, boost your sales of products/services, and lead to greater profits.
- Viable Marketing Tool – Mobile apps are considered one of the best marketing tools in today’s time. It helps your business connect with a higher percentage of your target audience by integrating social media, push notifications, and various other features.
What Are the Different Types of Mobile App Development?
Mobile app development is not just limited to Android & iOS development; it is beyond that. There are several programming languages available for mobile app development that have various aspects. Let’s look at other forms of mobile app development.
- Android App Development – With over 2 million apps in the Google Play Store, Android apps have a massive customer base and dominate the mobile app industry. Thus, Android app development is always the primary choice of developing mobile apps for any business.
- iOS App Development – When security is the foremost concern of any business, they choose to develop iOS apps. Due to its great potential for business, iOS apps typically focus on enterprises, particularly targeting countries with better economies like the US.
- Native App Development – Mobile apps created for a specific platform, either iOS or Android, is what native app development is all about. Businesses opt for experienced native app developers for better security, scalability, and faster overall app performance.
- Cross-Platform App Development – As the name suggests, cross-platform app development simply means developing a single app that can run on Android and iOS. Many companies prefer developing cross-platform apps to save money, reusing the same code for both iOS and Android platforms when needed.
- Progressive Web Apps (PWAs) – Progressive Web App (PWA) is a newer form of app development and is considered the future of app development. The technology combines the functions of both web apps and native mobile apps to develop Progressive Web Apps.
How to Build a Successful Mobile App? – 7 Crucial Steps Involved
Creating a successful mobile app involves a systematic approach. Knowing the essential steps involved in building a successful mobile app can keep you ahead of the competition. Here are the seven essential steps of mobile app development:
- Step 1: Market Research – You might have a great app idea, and you must be seeing the app’s success even before it’s developed, but all may go in vain if you neglect the market research during your mobile app development. Market research mainly includes knowing your target audience, studying your competitors, what’s working in the market, what’s not, and various other things. All these things will help you determine how to make your app better than the rest.
- Step 2: Define App Goals – Once you’re done with the research phase, it is now time to focus on the app’s goal. Understanding the goal of the app and its purpose is crucial if you want it to succeed. Various questions will help you understand it better, like what problems are this app solving? What are the essential features to include in this app? And so on.
- Step 3: Designing the App – Designing your app is another significant element responsible for making your app successful. Mobile apps built with good design automatically attract zillions of potential users. UX/UI design, advanced features, multi-touch gestures, and more are some main components of the designing phase.
- Step 4: Select the Right Approach – You must’ve sorted out everything related to your next mobile app development; however, yet selecting the right approach for developing a mobile app can be a daunting task. You can choose your approach based on your audiences, time, budget, and other aspects. There are three most broadly used types of applications: Native apps, Hybrid apps, and Progressive Web Apps.
- Step 5: Develop Your App – Once you are sure about your approach for developing an app, you should take a step forward and hire a professional app development company with expertise in developing amazing apps. Your app developer will put your app designs into coding and develop an app that will drive downloads.
- Step 6: Test Your App – You must’ve put everything in developing your dream app, but what if your users find glitches while using your app? That would leave a bad impression on them. Thus, before making it live for your potential users, you should test the app concept in numerous real-world scenarios to ensure that it functions properly.
- Step 7: Maintenance and Support – Your work is not done once your app is developed; your app will require timely upgrades, complete maintenance and support, and a lot of other considerable things. Thus, look for reliable app maintenance and support services to keep your mobile app updated and glitch-free.
Which Is Better: Native, Hybrid, or Web-Based Apps?
There are three main types of mobile apps available to explore mobile app development: native, hybrid, and web-based. All three approaches hold inherent value, but which one is the right approach for your mobile app development project? Let’s jump right in to know.
Native mobile apps are considered the most common type of app, built for specific platforms, and written in specific languages based on the platform. Objective-C and Swift are used for apps to develop on iOS; however, Java and Kotlin for Android apps. Both Apple and Google developers have their development tools, interface elements, and SDK.
Advantages of Native Apps:
- Better performance in comparison to other approaches.
- Interactive, intuitive, and run more smoothly.
- Superior user experience in comparison to the web or hybrid apps.
- Receive complete support from app stores and app marketplace.
- Allow developers to access the full feature set of selected OS.
Disadvantages of Native Apps:
- Use more difficult programming languages than others.
- Expenses are the most costly upfront for native apps.
- Not the right option for simple applications.
Advantages of Hybrid Apps:
- Unlike web apps, hybrid apps don’t need a web browser.
- Deliver a seamless user experience.
- Run-on a single codebase.
- Give access to a device’s internal APIs to store information offline.
Disadvantages of Hybrid Apps:
- Slower in performance compared to native apps.
- Dependency on a third-party platform to deploy the app’s wrapper.
- More customization demands for more money with hybrid apps.
Web-based apps, also known as Progressive Web Apps (PWAs), are hybrids of regular web pages and native apps. Being an emerging trend in mobile app development, PWAs can leverage features similar to native apps like push notifications, device hardware accessibility, improved touch gestures, and more.
Advantages of Web Apps:
- Use a common code base across multiple mobile platforms.
- Less expensive compared to native apps.
- Unlike other approaches, web-based apps don’t require approval from the app market.
- No need to update apps from app stores.
- Easy maintenance.
Disadvantages of Web Apps:
- Carry fewer features and hardware compared to others.
- Complicate the user experience as it involves more steps to use.
- Poor discoverability if not marketed well.
- Slower and less responsive than native apps.
- Less interactive and intuitive compared to native apps.
How Much Does It Cost to Build an App?
With an ever-increasing demand for mobile apps, mobile app development shows no sign of stopping at all. Many businesses want to create mobile apps to engage with more customers but are concerned about the cost. Here, we have categorized the approx cost of mobile app development in regards to complexity:
As the name suggests, simple apps don’t contain many complex features and are simple. They don’t require API integration, back-end, standard UI components, and others. Simple apps include features like email subscriptions, social media logins, calendars, and others.
Due to the absence of complex features, simple apps cost somewhere between $20,000 – $40,000 and take approximately 400 hours to get built.
Unlike simple apps, moderate apps do include more features but not as many as complex apps. These apps demand custom UI features, payment features, API integration, headsets and tablets adaptation, back-end server, and more.
Being moderate, these types of apps cost you somewhere between $40,000 – $80,000 and might take around 500-800 hours to develop.
Do you know that the complex apps are tough ones to crack? They’re considered to be more time-consuming apps compared to others. These apps include multi-language support, third-party integrations, custom animations, complicated back-end, professional design, real-time features, and more.
Being more complex than others, these apps cost somewhere between $75,000 – $150,000 and might take around 800-1500 hours or more to complete.
Developing a mobile app that attracts massive users is not a secret – all it takes is steady effort and consideration. A mobile app is built for users, so mobile app development should always be user-centric and not the other way round. We hope this in-depth guide of mobile app development was helpful. So, are you ready for your next great mobile app development?
We would love to hear your comments relating to the post. Got some other thoughts? Drop us words through our contact page.